Wednesday 20 June 2012

The Show Me State

As I mentioned before, I will always have a special place in my heart for the state of Missouri but today I will finally tell you why.

When I was in the second grade by Dad got a job in the states and we had to move to St.Joseph, Missouri. Of course I thought my life was ending but when we got there I quickly forgot about my life back in Canada and happily settled into my life in the States. It was a pretty smooth transition but I think we can mostly thank that to our new friends The Carvers. Kevin was my Dad's boss and invited us over to their farm one day. It was huge! They had animals and a giant barn, and dirt bike and kittens and three kids for me and my sister to play with. The Carvers became our family and in the four years that we lived in Missouri we probably saw them every single weekend. This was one of the happiest times in any of our lives.

Unfortunately my Dad's plant closed down and we had to move back to Canada. It wasn't long after we moved back that my parents started having trouble and had split up by the time I got to highschool. We didn't go back to Missouri after that because life got in the way and we were afraid the new dynamic of double families might have changed things.My mom and stepdad visited a couple years ago and it was quickly proven to us that nothing could change with the Carvers.


Last summer I got the opportunity to intern at the NBC news station in Kansas City and I quickly grabbed at the chance! It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. When Joplin hit I was there the very next morning. It was heartbreaking but taught me so much, not only about reporting but about life. Working at NBC has been one of the best things I ever did. I'm so proud of all of the work I did and I know now with certainty that I want to report.

My sister also got engaged while I was down there this summer and I got to fly home and help her pick her dress which was such a great and bonding experience.

My mom and stepdad came and visited me while I was in Missouri and we all saw the Carvers so many times. I even went to stay at their farm a few weekends. Even though our families have changed and everyone has grown up I saw that the Carvers are still family to us and I love them. We went to their daughter's wedding in September and they came to my sister's in December. I love all the memories that I made last summer and the fact that we are all continuing to make memories.

Next week we are going to the Carver's for the fourth of July which is always amazing! I cannot wait!

So if you have sat and read through that you now know why Missouri is my most beloved state. It holds some of the nearest and dearest people to me and all of the memories that go along with them.

For good measure, here is a picture of me drinving a vintage car on the Carver's farm.


xoTaylor

No comments:

Post a Comment