Tuesday 7 August 2012

A Weekend in the Capital

If I haven't mentioned it yet, I lived in Ottawa during my first year of school. I went to Carleton and really enjoyed being independent and getting the college experience but 5 hours was just too far away. I got home sick and after months of soul searching I decided I wanted to transfer to a university close to home. It was really hard for me to make that decision but I thought that I needed to do what I thought would make me happy. I really did love Ottawa and everyone I met there but home just felt like the place I needed to be. I came home at least once a month which was super expensive seeing as I was flying and everytime I would go back I would feel like crying the entire trip. I knew that I had to do what made me happy. Sometimes I wish I had stayed. I had a really good group of friends there and just knew a lot more people than I know at my school now. The city is beautiful and I wouldn't be living at home if I'd stayed but I still think I made the right decision.

That being said...this weekend kind of reignighted my love of Ottawa. Sheesh is it beautiful. I seriously consider moving there when I'm older and this time I know that if I did it would be right because I'd be ready. Time is a funny thing my friends.

Here's how the weekend went:
This is the amount of luggage I pack for a weekend. That's right people...two nights, three days. I'm a chronic over-packer. I actually get anxious if I think I won't like anything I packed and thus comes the overpacking. It leads to a lot of heaving lifting on my part but I'm never without options!

I was trying to eat healthy and we ended up going to a pub which made me terrified since basically everything is deep fried. Luckily I found this delicious balsamic chicken on the menu. Seriously tasted like heaven.
I was pointing out Quebec to the boyfriend, which is just across the river, and I also gave him his first glimpse of the capital buildings.

And there she is in all her glory. The boyfriend and I toured inside. This is what Canada's Hogwarts would look like, I'm sure of it. I'm also pretty sure that my Harry Potter mania has gone on for a little too long at this point haha.

Alright, I'm gonna be real with you, I've found the most delicious bagels in Ontario. I only say Ontario because Montreal bagels obviously top them all. If you're ever in Ottawa find a Kettleman's bagel. SO GOOD. They are made in a wood burning oven. That's not even the best part. The best part is that they make their own cream cheese. Seriously...mind blowing! I got dill pickle. Dee-lish.
  I found an awesome record store where I spent way too much money. It's called Vertigo records and they had an amazing selection of old and new. Against Me! was the boyfriends pick. I loved that he was getting into the record loving mentality too so I obviously snatched it up when I saw him holding it. The Of Monsters and Men record is bright pink! So cool! She and Him never dissapoints so it was a very successful shopping trip.
Finally, we stopped in this cookie store. It was supposed to special because Obama bought a cookie there. I didn't buy one but kind of wish I did. Unfortunately I'd spent way too much money at the tea shop across the street beforehand to even bother bringing out my wallet again. I got some seriously delicious teas though and a new travelers mug so I'm happy.

That, my friends, is what a successful long weekend looks like. Hope everyone enjoyed thier weekends too, long or not!

xoTaylor

No comments:

Post a Comment