Friday 19 October 2012

The Book Review: Never Let Me Go

I finished Never Let Me Go last night. I'm not going to lie to you guys, it did not live up to my expectations.

Never Let Me Go is a novel centered around the characters of Kathy (the narrator), Ruth and Tommy. The three go to Hailsham, a school for other children "like them" to grow up. The story starts in childhood at Hailsham, then adolescence where they live at The Cottages and finally adulthood when they are out in the real world. The story plays on you not really knowing what is going on. The whole time it talks about when they are going to begin their donations and you spend the whole book trying to find out what this means and what will happen to them once they finally get out into the real world. It's definitely interesting but very slow paced. The idea is very cool and by the second half of the book I was reading every night so I could find out what happened. The story's focus on the relationships of the three main characters is interesting and you really do get invested in their fates but I still feel like I have a lot of unanswered questions so I'm not feeling very satisfied as of right now.

I'm hoping that maybe the movie will make me like this story more. Kathy is played by Carrey Mulligan (one of my absolute favourite actresses...An Education is such a great movie), Kiera Knightly is Ruth and Andrew Garfield is Tommy. That cast alone makes me want to watch the movie but I'm afraid I'll be a bit bored. We will see.

Overall, I wouldn't really recommend this book. It was interesting but not really anything that I think I'll find myself reading for a second or third time like I seem to do with all my favourites.

Now I'm moving onto this book:
First of all, is this not the most beautiful book you've ever seen? It looks gorgeous on my bedside table. Secondly, I picked this because it looks like it's going to be very action-packed which I'm craving after reading Never Let Me Go.

This book is portrayed as a found document which was written by an unidentified woman. The woman is writing from a room where she has been kidnapped. Her children have also been kidnapped and she has to work to find her way through this somehow. The reason she is there is because the government has betrayed her. She has been working on a top-secret project for a weapon that could end all war, even all human life.

I started reading a little last night and it is very intelligent. There are quotes at the end of every chapter (which of course I love!) and it seems like a story with lots of hidden meanings and ideas that will all make sense in the end. It is probably going to be a bit of a complicated and confusing read but I'm excited.

Well that's all for now. Stay tuned for when I finish The Book of Rapture!

xoTaylor

No comments:

Post a Comment