Sunday 20 January 2013

The Book Review: Looking for Alaska

Looking for Alaska is the second John Green book I have read and I read it right after The Fault in Our Stars when I was on vacation. I have to say that this one was definitely my favourite.

Pudge, the main character, decides to go off to boarding school because he goes "to seek a Great Perhaps." Pudge is obsessed with famous last words and wants to go to the boarding school so he can finally leave Florida and start experiencing life. When he gets there he is roomed with the Colonel who introduces him to Alaska.  The three of them along with a couple of other pals plan pranks during the school year and enjoy their lives in the own little world in Alabama. Pudge instantly falls in love with Alaska who has a boyfriend and tends to lead him on but I don't blame him because I would fall in love with her too. She's so freaking cool and mysterious and funny and interesting. I completely loved the character of Alaska. I wish I could think of a way to tell you more about the story but I would hate to give anything away. All you need to know is that you will fall in love with the characters and the world of Culver Creek Boarding School.

I seriously want to name my future daughter Alaska now. I just loved her character that much even though she was a wild one with equally wild mood swings. I just loved her.

Of course John Green made sure to include some amazingly quotable moments so I will share some of my favourites:

“So I walked back to my room and collapsed on the bottom bunk, thinking that if people were rain, I was drizzle and she was a hurricane.” 


“Imagining the future is a kind of nostalgia."

“It always shocked me when I realized that I wasn’t the only person in the world who thought and felt such strange and awful things.” 

“I found myself thinking about President William McKinley, the third American president to be assassinated. He lived for several days after he was shot, and towards the end, his wife started crying and screaming, "I want to go too! I want to go too!" And with his last measure of strength, McKinley turned to her and spoke his last words: "We are all going.”

“Sometimes I don't get you,' I said.
She didn't even glance at me. She just smiled toward the television and said, 'You never get me. That's the whole point.”


Oh John Green, you write so, so beautifully.

Well kids, that's all for now. I hope you go out into the world and buy some John Green

xoTaylor


No comments:

Post a Comment