Monday 23 September 2013

Being Alone


I did something a little different today: I went to see a movie by myself. I was downtown for Social Media Week and after the presentations were done for the day I found out that I didn't have to work that afternoon. I also knew that the only theatre in the whole city that was playing The Spectacular Now was only a couple of blocks away. I made my way to the theatre, purchased myself a ticket and sat in the theatre along with a teeny, tiny crowd of fellow movie goers, who all happened to be in their 70s.

I had a wonderful time. It felt so liberating to just enjoy my own company for the afternoon. I've always wanted to go to a movie alone because I think it's such a nice idea. No need to schedule with anyone, no need to worry about anything but you and the screen. It was pretty great.

It really signified why I came to Toronto. I wanted to be able to be independent without the help of my family or my boyfriend. I know that they are all here to help me but I sometimes feel like I use them all as a crutch. I need to be able to spend time with myself without counting on anyone else.

Like Oscar Wilde said: "I think it's very healthy to spend time alone. You need to know how to be alone and not be defined by another person."

xoTaylor

No comments:

Post a Comment